Sanwo-Olu Not Asked to Resign, Lagos Government Debunks Viral Report
The Lagos State Government has firmly dismissed as false a viral report claiming that Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu had been directed to resign on health grounds, describing the publication as “entirely fabricated” and misleading.
In a statement issued on April 27, 2026, the Governor’s Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Gboyega Akosile, said the report—circulated by Sahara Reporters—was untrue and should be disregarded by the public.
Akosile emphasized that Governor Sanwo-Olu remains in good health, mentally sound, and fully engaged in his responsibilities as the chief executive of Lagos State. He described the claim that the governor had been asked to step down as “another instance of fake news,” alleging that such misinformation has become a recurring pattern from the online platform.
According to the statement, the governor’s schedule on the day further contradicted the report. He confirmed that Sanwo-Olu received the Deputy Governor, Kadri Obafemi Hamzat, during a routine courtesy visit. During the meeting, Hamzat formally communicated his intention to contest for the governorship in a future election.
“The meeting was held in a cordial atmosphere, consistent with established protocols and the professional relationship between both leaders,” Akosile noted, dismissing any suggestion of internal crisis or transition of power within the state government.
The Lagos Government said it was compelled to respond publicly to the report due to the potential for misinformation to mislead residents and create unnecessary concern. While noting that it would ordinarily ignore such claims, the statement stressed the importance of setting the record straight to reassure Lagosians.
Akosile urged the public to rely on verified information from official channels and credible sources, warning against the spread of unverified reports that could undermine public trust.
The development highlights growing concerns around misinformation in Nigeria’s digital media space, particularly as online platforms continue to shape public discourse ahead of future political contests.
Residents have been advised to disregard the report in its entirety, as the governor continues to carry out his official duties without interruption.


Leave feedback about this